Date: March 10, 2018 – June 30
Postural Assessment Utilizing a Biotensegrity Approach
This on-line course is designed for the practitioner who is interested in enriching their skills in understanding postural assessment and how it relates to Bowen therapy and other forms of manual therapy. This course is designed for the practitioner who is interested in learning more about the newest research related to fascia and biotensegrity as a way to understand relational anatomy and global connections through the physical system.
This course will deepen the manual therapy practitioners understanding of how to comprehensively address the various components of tissue tension and stagnation within an individual’s overall structure by creating three dimensional balance utilizing hands on techniques. The content will help create a framework to assess, document and educate clients regarding symptoms, pain, and postural balance.
By the end of this course, students will:
- Be able to define the concepts of tensegrity and how they relate to the physical body.
- Be aware of the latest research related to fascia and connective tissue.
- Increase their awareness of understanding of relational anatomy.
- Understand various fascial lines and their distribution throughout the body.
- Understand how to view common pathologies through the biotensegrity paradigm.
- Be knowledgeable on assessment strategies to assess the three dimensional balance of the body.
- Be able to document postural assessment findings and communicate them in written and verbal form.
Each course will be 60-90 minutes in length. Included will be handouts, competency testing, research studies, an issue of certificate of completion upon successful passing of a final examination.
This course has been approved for 9 CE’s by the American Bowen Academy
Course 1: Fascia and Tensegrity
- Fascia as an organ of structure
- Introduction to Tensegrity
- Relational Anatomy
- Connective tissue research
Course 2: Postures of restriction
- Introduction to the fascial lines
- Identification of common postural patterns within fascial lines
- Secondary compensatory patterns-why we don’t treat
- How Bowen and other manual therapeutic interventions affect three dimensional balance
Course 3: Commonly seen pathologies
- Pathologies thru a biomechanical lens
- Pathologies thru a biotensegrity paradigm
- How should our treatment approach vary
- Is symmetry a postural goal?
- Primary and secondary compensations
- Common Bowen moves and other manual therapies to address these pathologies
Course 4: Introduction to standing postural assessment
- Terminology, documentation-how do we describe what we see
- Introduction to movement assessment
- What to look for, how to identify areas of restriction
- Gathering a hypothesis
- Clinical reasoning with a biotensegrity approach
Course 5: Biomechanical/orthopaedic evaluations
- Leg length
- Pelvic assessments
- Shoulder assessments
- Spinal assessments
- Neurologic evaluations
How Bowen interventions and other manual therapies affect patterns
Course 6: Myofascial assessments
- Rationale of three dimensional connective tissue balance
- Common superficial myofascial tests
- How to prioritize treatment approach
- Application of manual therapy-less is more
- Summary of the Tensegrity Medicine approach